Dirk’s employee benefits career spans over 30 years during which he developed his passion for maximizing the value of health care benefits. His particular focus is on the effective management of prescription drugs, specifically specialty drug management tactics. Dirk has managed our Columbus office since 2008.
Previously the acting benefits administrator for the Department of Administrative Services of the State of Ohio, Dirk was responsible for the strategic direction, implementation and daily operations of the benefit programs for the 60,000+ active state employees. He has worked in the public and private sector, holding management roles in benefits and human resources with several organizations, including The Ohio State University, Online Computer Library Center, Wells Fargo Insurance Services, The Columbus Dispatch, and John Alden Life Insurance Company. Dirk also previously worked as a consultant/broker with Wells Fargo Insurance Services.
• Led the selection and implementation of a new PBM for a 20,000-member retailer. The project resulted in a first year’s savings of $3 million through aggressive negotiations of the financial arrangement and clearly defined terms and conditions. Clinical program enhancements are projected to save an additional $2 million over the next three years.
• Developed and implemented a new health management strategy for a private employer combining cost and health management strategies resulting in over $1.7 million in annual savings.
• Led the selection and implementation of a new pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) for a mid-sized manufacturing company. Through the usage of a transparent “pass-through model” and more aggressive clinical programs, per employee costs were reduced by over 8%.
• Managed the selection and implementation of a medical third party administrator, stop loss vendor and pharmacy benefit manager for a private company with 3,000 employees. Through aggressive vendor management and negotiation, services were greatly enhanced while administrative fees were reduced by 16%.
• Past President of the Human Resource Association of Central Ohio (HRACO)
• Employer’s Council Chairperson for the Health Care Coalition of Central Ohio
• Founding Member and President of the Ohio Health Purchasing Alliance
Education and Certifications
• Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management & Accounting – Miami University
• Licensure | Health and Accident, Life and Variable Insurance – State of Ohio
Dirk and his wife Anne were blessed with triplet daughters and a son (and they still maintained their sanity!)
24651 Center Ridge Rd, Suite 110
Westlake, Ohio 44145