In Focus

News & Insight from Chelko Consulting
Effective Transparency Tools Come at a Price

Effective Transparency Tools Come at a Price

It’s not uncommon for the average healthcare consumer to be in the dark when it comes to the value of services received. We’re typically oblivious to the cost and quality of each service until the bill arrives or something goes wrong ― like when a revision to a hip replacement is necessary. And such blind faith can be a significant driver of rising healthcare costs.

Recent legislation is putting more emphasis on price transparency in hopes it will lead to increased consumerism and, in turn, more value. Many employers have followed similar logic and purchased consumer tools from their insurance provider or a third-party service. read more…

Deep Dive Redux: Benchmarks and Beyoncé

Deep Dive Redux: Benchmarks and Beyoncé

June arrived with a splash at Chelko, as we explored findings from our sixth annual Deep Dive employer survey. While we were limited to a virtual presentation for the second straight year ― a departure from our traditional all-day gathering in Columbus ― we were still able to provide a robust discussion around what is driving medical and drug spend for the 50 participating employers in markets across Ohio and beyond. read more…

Nothing to Hide Here

Nothing to Hide Here

You can see right through us. And we’re totally fine with that.

For plan years beginning on December 27, 2021, or later, brokers and consultants will be held to new compensation transparency obligations under the Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA). The CAA creates new requirements for brokers and consultants (referred to in the rules as “covered service providers” or “CSPs”) to disclose to ERISA-covered group health plan sponsors any direct or indirect compensation they may receive for referral of services. read more…

We Look at Things Differently. So Should You.

We Look at Things Differently. So Should You.

Chelko uses our unique clinical and sourcing expertise to dramatically reduce drug benefit costs for plan sponsors and improve member care. While others mistakenly chase discounts and rebates, we focus on removing waste and excessive profiteering from plans and helping members more affordably get the medications they need.

The fact is, too many people are using old strategies to take on new challenges. While brand and generic medications make up almost 99% of total prescriptions and have long been the primary focus of most cost reduction efforts, it’s more than time to shift our attention to the other 1%. read more…

Bullet Holes & Benefits: Measuring What Matters

Bullet Holes & Benefits: Measuring What Matters

Maybe you’ve heard this story before, but probably never as it relates to employee benefits.

During World War II, planes would come back from battle riddled with bullet holes. The Allies did an analysis and determined which areas of the returning aircraft were most commonly hit by enemy fire. In doing so, they hoped to reduce the number of planes shot down by adding additional armor plating to those frequently damaged sections. read more…

CONTACT
Cleveland Office
24651 Center Ridge Rd, Suite 110
Westlake, Ohio 44145

Phone: 440.892.2600
Fax: 440.892.8920
Email: info@chelkogroup.com

Columbus Office
Phone: 614.869.4140

Employee Phone Directory